What is the course about?
The landscape of Britain has a diversity in rock types unmatched in the world. Few truly know about the exciting history of this island. The tectonic activity, the ancient volcanoes, the effects of the Last Ice Age on the landscape and much, much more. This course will focus on providing you with the knowledge you will find useful to look at the British landscape differently. It will be especially useful to those who, love the great outdoors and enjoy wandering through pristine landscapes, like the Lake District and Peak District. The geological history of the island will be told through key sites throughout the UK, that you can visit for yourself. You will be shown how to identify rocks and the equipment you may need to assist you. You are welcome to show sample rocks for discussion and identification.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
1. Understanding Rocks: Types and how to identify them
2. Beautiful landscapes
3. Landscapes of historical and scientific importance
5. Coastal landscapes
6. Contorted landscapes
7. Ancient volcanic landscapes
8. Glacial landscapes
9. Archaeological landscapes
10. Resources and final Q&A.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Identify different types of rocks
• Navigate the online geological map of Britain
• Discuss the formation of different landscape types
• View the landscapes you visit with a new appreciation for the power of tectonics.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an introductory course and is open to all. No prior knowledge of the subject is required. However,
you will need a good grasp of English to keep up with the course and to participate fully in discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
A combination of presentations, video, question and answer..
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Bring a notepad and pen. No other costs for the course.