What is the course about?
Films and filmmakers in German cinema in the period 1919-1933 and the ways in which the movement has been understood as representing a German national cinema of the period through its distinctive look, themes and motifs.
What will we cover?
• Films and filmmakers in German expressionist cinema
• German expressionist film style(s)
• German expressionist cinema as national cinema
• Production and historical contexts of German expressionist cinema
• Critical responses to German expressionist cinema.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Identify and evaluate key films and filmmakers in German expressionist cinema
• Evaluate the range of film styles that comprise German expressionist cinema
• Evaluate German expressionist cinema as a national cinema
• Identify the production and historical contexts of German expressionist cinema
• Evaluate German expressionist cinema within a critical framework.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is suitable for all levels. It will provide an introduction to the subject but will also be useful for those wishing to build on existing knowledge.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Screenings of extracts from films, talks by the tutor, reading materials, small and large group discussions. There will not be any work outside the class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will require a pen and paper (or laptop/device) but the tutor will provide all other materials.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Please check the Film section in our prospectus under Humanities or on the website: www.citylit.ac.uk under History, Culture and Writing.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details