What is the course about?
The course aims to raise awareness around the limitations of having a colour blind approach in practice and instead promoting racial consciousness.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• A brief exploration of the ways in which the colour blind approach has developed over time
• De-mystifying colour blind concepts
• Personal and professional inventories
• Developing race consciousness in practice.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Briefly explain the history of the colour blind approach
• Identify the limitations of a colour blind approach
• Identify the advantages of a race conscious approach and one way in which this can be applied in practice.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
• Professional Introduction
• Students should be in practice (whether qualified or placement).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
• Experiential exercises
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
• There are no other costs
• Notebook and pen.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Please review our new Racial Awareness Project Section online and in the term guides.