What is the course about?
A great introduction to drawing in different parts of the British Museum.
This short course provides an opportunity to get started with a sketchbook: you will draw directly from a variety of objects, and be shown different methods of working with different types of pencil, using both light and shadow, and colour.
*PLEASE NOTE: The meeting place for session 1 is be at the top of the steps just outside the main entrance door to the British Museum (the gates to the main entrance forecourt are on Great Russell Street). You will then be given a plan by the tutor, to confirm the location of the following sessions in the Museum.
What will we cover?
- Drawing from a variety of objects and sculptures, in different areas of the Museum.
- Giving you the chance to explore some of the effects that can be achieved in drawing with pencils: such as use of light/shadow to create volume, types of mark-making and a short introduction to colour.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Draw simple shapes with confidence
- Investigate three methods of drawing
- Achieve confidence to start using a sketchbook
- Start to draw directly from observation of artefacts and sculpture.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for you if you are a beginner or:
- You want to learn more about how to draw
- You have not used a sketchbook before
- You need more confidence drawing different things
- You’d like to explore different ways of sketchbook drawing.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will receive individual guidance with some demonstration and group discussion, to enable you to develop your practical work in the sketchbook throughout the course. You will be encouraged to do some work in the sketchbook between the class sessions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
- Please bring an A5 Sketchbook - preferably hardbacked
- Some drawing materials - ie pencils will be provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can progress on to more advanced drawing courses or other courses within the Art and Design department - please see the Drawing and Painting section of our course guide and website for more details.