What is the course about?
The course is a taster session on the craft of hand bookbinding. It is ideal for anyone who would like to know
more about this area and/or who might be thinking of enrolling on one of the longer courses at City Lit.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
You will be introduced to some of the materials, equipment and techniques of bookbinding. We will fold, cut and
sew paper to make a single section pamphlet and a multi-section notebook with decorative paper covers. There will be a chance to talk about suppliers, books, courses at City Lit, and to hear a little about historical and contemporary bookbinding practice.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Identify grain direction in paper
- Recognise and correctly use basic bookbinding tools and materials
- Make a single section binding using pamphlet stitch
- Make a multi-section paper-covered binding using link stitch.
- Explain a little about the historical development of bookbinding.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is for those with little or no experience or knowledge of hand bookbinding.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
All work will be undertaken during the session. You will be taught by demonstration, discussion, visual aids,
practical tasks and individual support and guidance from the tutor.
This course will be taught using live sessions using Zoom.
• You will need a computer or laptop, a fully updated google chrome browser works best
or use a phone or tablet, your device will need a microphone, and optionally a camera.
• You will need to login into our Google Classroom before our sessions start as all course materials will be stored
here. You will be emailed a joining code nearer the time.
• You will require a good broadband connection as mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle will not provide
sufficient bandwidth at times.
This course will be delivered online. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a
microphone, and preferably a camera.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to provide your own materials for this course, which the tutor will try to make as easy to find as possible. You will also require a small set of tools which you should be able to source from an art shop or you may have similar items at home. Guidance will be given on this after enrolment and before the course begins.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
On completion of this day you could join another bookbinding course in beginners Conservation, a longer general Bookbinding course or a short course on a different Bookbinding technique or structure.