What is the course about?
This course will introduce you to Capture One Pro, the professional-grade image-capture and raw file-processing software. Initially the software was designed to work with Phase One medium format digital backs but it now supports many digital SLR cameras and works cross platform (on Mac or PC). We'll look at all aspects of the software, including setting up and customising the software, tethered capture (transferring images to a computer during shooting), and processing images for output, all with plenty of time to practice and get expert advice throughout.
What will we cover?
- Setting up and customising the Capture One workspace
- Importing images and tethered capture (transferring images to a computer during shooting)
- Optimising the raw camera files and outputting them as images for various purposes
- Ensuring that colour remains accurate from image capture to output.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- confidently use tethered capture, import images from camera cards and view images on smart phones and iPads using the Capture Pilot App
- edit pictures to create a variety of looks (styles), finely tuning colour, contrast and image detail
- capture and output images using a colour-managed workflow
- batch-process images for web and print and add appropriate metadata.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for beginners to Capture One software but you should be comfortable with the use of computers. This is not a camera course and there will be very limited time for explaining the functionality of your cameras.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and be prepared to take part in group discussion. You should be happy using numbers and able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught through a series of demonstrations and practical exercises, both in small groups and individually, in a dedicated studio. Please note we will be working on Apple Mac computers.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring your digital camera to the classes (or we can lend you one for use within the class). You can check if your current camera is supported at http://www.phaseone.com/en/Supported-cameras.aspx?camera=Phase-One. You may also wish to bring a notebook and pen, and some of your existing raw images to compare the results of processing through Capture One. These are best brought in on memory stick (or portable hard drive – please note PC-formatted hard drives can be read by Apple Mac computers, but not written to.)
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit runs a huge range of practical and theoretical photography and photographic software courses, from wedding and wildlife photography to darkroom processing and digital printing. Browse the website or prospectus to get inspired.