What is the course about?
This course is a brief introduction to some of the theory and practical processes of book conservation. It is a chance to try out some techniques, use tools and materials common in book conservation and find out about further study in book conservation and repair at City Lit.
What will we cover?
- Basic principles of, & good practice in, book conservation
- An brief overview of historical book structures.
- Simple paper repair techniques, materials and tools
- Reconstitution of book board corners
- Re-covering of book board corners using cloth toned and coloured to match.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Explain the difference between the terms ‘conservation’ and ‘restoration’
- Use tools and materials appropriately for simple paper repairs -
- Use tools and materials appropriately to repair damaged board corners
- Select colours appropriately to match existing cloth and cover a board corner.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for and aimed at students who have no extensive prior knowledge or experience of book
conservation. It is not necessary to have bookbinding experience. Some manual dexterity will be an asset both for
paper repair and in further conservation study. Attention to detail is always useful.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught through group discussions and practical demonstrations with individual attention as necessary.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All materials will be provided and included in the course fees. Tools are available for use in the classroom but you
are encouraged to bring your own small tool kit if you have one and an apron to protect you clothes.
Please bring with you:
- a sharp pencil
- a notebook
- a pair of narrow ended tweezers
- If possible two or three flat, acrylic haired paintbrushes in a range of narrow widths up to 1 cm and a very fine one. Cheap ones are absolutely fine.
- Please also bring a cloth-covered book (preferably with battered corners!).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Bookbinding: conservation and repair
- VD325 Book conservation and repair II
- VD203 Book conservation and repair: leather-bound books
- VD440 Start bookbinding
- VD330 Start bookbinding
- VD402 Hand marbled paper
- VD316 Wooden boarded binding
- VD435 Bookbinding for beginners: simple leather binding.