What is the course about?
This is an enjoyable & interesting introduction to drawing for beginners. Drawing is a great aid to visual memory and visual thinking. People often report a sense of satisfaction, concentration and relaxation when they take up drawing.
What will we cover?
- You will explore three different kinds of mark-making, using charcoal & pencil.
- You will be guided through a series of exercises, starting by observing simple objects.
- You will be shown how to create volume, using light and shadow, which helps to make a drawing convincing.
Receive advice about an appropriate type and level of drawing course to join, should you become hooked and want to do more!
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Draw using at least two different methods
- Start to represent a simple object through drawing light and shadow
- Explore a variety of marks that can be used in drawing
- Gain confidence to progress to further study or personal exploration of drawing.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This taster course is for beginners to drawing who would like to experience the subject first hand.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught through practical work in the studio, some demonstration, brief individual tutoring & some group discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All basic materials are provided.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
The natural progression from this course is Start Drawing, or alternatively, Drawing 1 for those wishing to be more challenged.