What is the course about?
A two-week introduction to drawing in a sketchbook, in different parts of the Victoria and Albert Museum.
This short course provides an opportunity to get started with a sketchbook: you will draw directly from a variety of objects, and be shown different methods of working with different types of pencil, using both light and shadow, and colour.
- Meeting place for session 1 will be at the top of the steps just outside the main entrance door to the Victoria and Albert building, this is on Brompton Road. You will then be given a plan by the tutor, to confirm the location of the next session in the Museum.
What will we cover?
Drawing from a variety of objects and sculptures, in different areas of the Museum, gives you the chance to start to explore some of the effects that can be achieved in drawing with pencils: such as use of light/shadow and how to use different pencils including colour.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Draw simple shapes with confidence
- Start to investigate at least two methods of drawing
- Achieve confidence to start using a sketchbook
- Start to draw from observation of different objects.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
- You want to learn more about how to draw
- You have not used a sketchbook before
- You would like to try drawing objects with guidance
- You’d like to explore different ways of sketchbook drawing.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will receive individual guidance with some demonstration and group discussion, to enable you to start drawing in your sketchbook. You will be encouraged to do some work in the sketchbook between the class sessions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic pencils for drawing will be provided. You will need to bring your own A5 size Hardback sketchbook.
Guidance on materials will be given if you wish to buy your own equipment after the first session.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit runs a range of drawing courses, such as Drawing 1 & Drawing 2 or many short courses such as: plants, perspective or mindfulness; your tutor will discuss options with you during this course.