What is the course about?
This short workshop serves as an introduction to using lights in film projects. You will learn some tricks from film making professionals about how to light your subject to produce different effects. You will also learn how to adjust the manual controls on an HD camera to make the most of your lighting set up.
What will we cover?
- Enhancing natural light
- Setting up an artificial light source
- The difference between hard and soft light
- Keylights, backlights and fills
- Adjusting the manual settings of your DSLR camera to optimise your lighting set up.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- enhance available natural light
- select and set up an artificial light source
- understand and recognise the difference between hard and soft light
- understand the use of keylights, backlights and fills
- adjust some of the manual settings of your DSLR camera to optimise your lighting set up.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners’ course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including demonstrations, practical exercises, group and individual assistance and hand-outs. Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in Animation, Cartooning, Digital arts, Film, Graphics, Illustration, Photography and Web design.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Our high definition cameras and the latest professional equipment and software are available for your use throughout the course. It would be useful to bring a memory stick (or portable hard drive – please note PC formatted hard drives can be read by Apple mac computers, but not written to.).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can develop your skills further inVG388 Documentary film making: a practical course, VG397 Narrative film making or VG540 Start filming and compositing with green screen.
City Lit offer a range of courses in video and DSLR film making, editing, sound, animated SFX with After Effects, digital and stop motion 2D and 3D Animation and an array of other visual arts courses to enhance your film making practice.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details