Try it out: knotting and stringing for beads and pearls
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: VV503
Duration: 2 sessions
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This course will introduce you to the techniques and tools used to make original pieces of beaded
jewellery.You will use beginners stringing, knotting, macramé and wire wrapping techniques to make necklaces, bracelets and earrings. You will also discover the key bead jewellery design and patterns.
What will we cover?
- Bead knotting and stringing techniques will be demonstrated showing which beads and findings to use.
- You will discuss colour and bead jewellery design principles
- You will learn about which tools and materials to use, such as wire and threads
- How to finish off samples and finished pieces using metal findings
- Small projects such as bracelets, necklaces and earing’s will be demonstrated
- Discuss how to work independently after the course.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Confidently design and make personal pieces of beaded jewellery
- Construct earrings, bracelets and necklaces according to your own style
- Make or choose appropriate findings for each design
- Use crimp beads and crimp tools.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is for all abilities.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations and hand-outs.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through practical demonstrations and tutor samples.
Through 1:1 and group discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic materials will be provided, however if you would like to bring your own beads and findings you are welcome to bring them.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offer a wide range of short and year-long courses in Jewellery design and making, from beginners to advanced, and for professional development.
Browse our current online offer for complementary courses.
Beverley has an academic training in Fine Art and Textiles and for a while set up a design business in Knitted Garments. Whilst studying for an MA in Textiles, Beverley started using traditional Bead Weaving, Embroidery and Quilting techniques to create painted and stitched pieces. This led to creating accredited and personal interest short courses in Beaded Jewellery, Fashion and Textiles. Beverley continues to use constructive Textile techniques within her teaching practise. She is actively involved in her community and works closely with local charities to explore how Art and Craft increases Well Being. She is a member of Hastings Arts Forum where she curates Textile shows and exhibits.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.