What is the course about?
Unconscious bias pervades every area of our lives. This can have a profound effect on the relationship we have with others inside and outside the therapy room. You are invited to begin a ‘quest of awareness’ to see how this process relates to the issues of ethnicity and privilege.
What will we cover?
• What is unconscious bias?
• Individual, institutional and cultural bias.
• What impact does unconscious bias have on affected individuals and groups?
• Power and privilege
• Shame and defences/creative adjustments
• What is my background and how might that influence how I think and relate to others?
• What psychological theories do we use in our model and how are they culturally biased?
• Psychological concepts that help us to understand this dynamic
• The role of supervision.
• How might we begin to do things differently?
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
By the end of this course you should be able to:
• Understand and explain what unconscious bias is in different contexts
• To see how this can impact on people(s) in a general and more specific way in the way we have been trained.
• To be more aware of your personal (or potential) bias and to be able to think more clearly about your process.
• To take away some tools to support you as you begin to think more critically about the inherent bias in therapeutic models
• To identify your own learning edges in moving forward.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for final year trainees and qualified counsellors and therapists. Being open minded, able and willing to reflect on your experience within the group will help you on the course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
There will be a mixture of slides, discussion and experiential exercises. You will be working with groups of two or three and with the larger group. There may be some homework (watching podcasts etc).
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may be interested in one of CPD counselling courses:
PT507 - Working with domestic violence
PT550 - The role of attachment in counselling
PT531 - Group Facilitation
PT556 - Working with two chairs
PT569 - Working therapeutically with masks.