What is the course about?
This course visits various London villages and examines their history, architecture and famous residents.
What will we cover?
Shoreditch, Mayfair, Bermondsey, Notting Hill, Clerkenwell, Islington, Harrow-on -the-Hill and Wapping.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
1. Discuss the history of the various villages.
2. List the functions and architecture of the major buildings in these villages.
3. Name some of the important residents of these villages.
4. Research buildings and your own interests in Village London by further reading and internet access.
5. Take your friends and relations on walks in these villages.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for anyone who is interested in London history and is able to undertake a moderately paced two hour walking tour.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
One lecture with slides, group discussions, walks and site visits.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There will be some extra costs for entrance fees.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Join one of our guided London walks in September- see prospectus or website.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details