What is the course about?
You will develop your playing techniques for violin or viola, tuning of your instrument, and reading music notation. It continues with Violin and viola 1C. Tutor: Robert Puzey.
What will we cover?
- How to hold the instrument and bow correctly
- Good posture and movement while playing
- More fingering patterns (including use of the natural 2nd finger)
- How to listen to and improve your own intonation
- Reading and writing music notation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Manage the violin and bow with some confidence
- Improve your tone quality
- Know how to improve your intonation
- Know the sound and structure of major scales starting on open strings
- Read and play a variety of simple tunes and rhythms.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for those who have been learning the instrument for at least one term, and can read simple music notation. You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
We work as a group with some individual attention from the tutor and frequent division into smaller groups. The tutor leads the class by explaining, demonstrating and playing with the group. You will make good progress if you play and practice at home for at least 15 minutes 4 or 5 times a week.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring your own violin or viola kit (including bow, rosin and shoulder rest). These cost at least £70 or more; quality will increase greatly with price, and the better your instrument the easier you will find it to play.
Also bring pen, pencil, eraser and notepad. A folder for handouts and your notes is also useful. We will use 2 textbooks costing about £10 each. The tutor will advise what these are at the first session, and they will be used throughout Level 1.
Have you read our guide to local music shops and choosing instruments? Where to buy music and instruments This blog post lists some of our local music shops and gives specific advice on clarinets, pianos and more.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course leads to Violin and viola 1C
You may also be interested in Musicianship courses, which support general musical development.