What is the course about?
This course develops your playing technique, reading of music notation, basic music theory and tuning your
instrument. You will be working towards Grade 2 standard. This course continues with module 3. Tutor: Robert Puzey.
What will we cover?
- Good posture and movement
- Good left hand position and correct finger placement
- Good bowhold and control
- Rhythm, reading and writing music
- Improving your tone quality and intonation
- Major and minor keys and scales: including Bflat Major.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Play with some confidence with a pleasant tone and good bow control
- Tune your instrument using an aid (e.g. tuner, piano)
- Play with the group and on your own
- Hold an independent line of music in rounds and songs
- Play selected major and minor scales and arpeggios
- Play music in the keys of your scales
- Read and improvise simple tunes and rhythms.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for those who have been learning the instrument for more than a year. You should be able to play simple major and minor scales and arpeggios (in key signatures with up to three sharps or in one flat) and play and read simple tunes at Grade 1/2 standard.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Classes will comprise tutor explanation and demonstration, group playing and individual practice (please bring your own instrument). Sessions will also include class discussion, aural skills and theoretical study.
To make progress you will need to practise regularly outside class (ideally at least 20 minutes on least 4 days per week).
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring your own violin/viola kit; pen, pencil, eraser, notepad and manuscript paper. A folder for handouts and your notes is also useful. We will use up to 3 textbooks during the level 2 modules costing £5 to £15 each; the tutor will advise what these are at the first session. These will be used throughout the Level 2 courses.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course leads to Violin and viola Level 2: module 3
You may also be interested in joining String ensemble, which will help improve your sight-reading, intonation and ensemble skills.
You may also be interested in Musicianship courses, which support general musical development.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details