What is the course about?
You will learn to play and read music in 3rd position. You will develop your musical and technical skills through a selection of repertoire, scales and exercises. There will be an exploration of how your body works in playing. You will gain experience of playing independent lines in a group situation.
What will we cover?
- Shifting between 1st and 3rd positions
- Use the bow with greater skill and control
- Introduction to vibrato
- Understand major and minor (harmonic and melodic) scale patterns including scales in 3rd position
- Have confidence to join an elementary orchestra or chamber music group.
- Work on individual problems.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Play with some confidence with a pleasant tone and good bow control
- Tune your instrument using an aid (e.g. tuner, piano)
- Play with the group and on your own
- Hold an independent line of music in rounds and songs
- Play selected major and minor scales and arpeggios
- Play music in the keys of your scales
- Read and improvise simple tunes and rhythms.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course assumes you are able to play confidently at Grade 2 standard You will need the ability to read musical notation, fluent knowledge of 1st position, and some knowledge of 3rd position.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The tutor will direct the group, either playing all together or dividing into sub-groups for part-playing and listening. There will be demonstration and occasional use of recording. We will use printed music principally, with some playing by ear. Individual practice in-between sessions 4 or 5 times a week of at least 30 minutes will ensure your progress.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring your own violin or viola kit. Also bring pen, pencil, eraser, notepad and manuscript paper. A folder for handouts and your notes is also useful. We will use up to 3 textbooks during the year costing £5 to £15 each; the tutor will advise what these are at the first session. These will be used throughout the year.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course leads to Violin and viola 3C next term. You may also be interested in String ensemble to develop your sight-reading, intonation and ensemble skills.
Courses that support general musical development include Musicianship: Ear training, Rhythm, Aural training.