What is the course about?
You will develop the techniques of violin/viola playing at an intermediate level.
What will we cover?
- Improving sound quality by developing basic bow strokes
- Study of 2nd and 4th positions
- Vibrato (starting or developing)
- Listening skills for ensemble playing
- Aural awareness (especially of intervals for tuning and note finding).
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use vibrato where appropriate
- Read notation and play pieces in 2nd position
- Read notation and play pieces in 4th position
- Move between left hand positions
- Employ a variety of bowing techniques
- Understand elements of music theory relevant to violin/viola playing
- Work on individual problems
- Scales and arpeggios based on the Grade 4 syllabus.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You need a playing standard of approximately Grade 3-4 and you should be able to tune your instrument independently and read music. You should be fluent in 1st and 3rd positions and familiar with major and minor scales in 2 octaves with slurred and separate bowing patterns. You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The tutor will direct the group - sometimes dividing it into sub-groups for part-playing and listening. We will use printed music, whiteboard, piano accompaniment and very simple playing by ear.
A regular practise routine is essential to make progress you will need to practise regularly outside class (ideally at least 30 minutes 4/5 times per week).
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need your own violin or viola and accessories. You will need: pen, pencil, eraser, notepad and manuscript paper and a folder for handouts and your notes is useful. We will use up to 3 textbooks during the year costing about £5 to £15 each.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course progresses to Violin and viola 4C.
There are opportunities for developing ensemble skills further in String ensemble, Chamber music: intermediate, and Orchestra workshop.
City Lit also offers a wide range of Music theory, Musicianship and Music appreciation courses that support your practical music study.