What is the course about?
You will develop the techniques of violin/viola playing at an intermediate-advanced level online.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Further work in sound production
- Further work in higher positions, up to and including 7th
- Work on vibrato exercises and the commencement of application of vibrato in repertoire
- A wide range of repertoire up to and including ABRSM standard grade 5 pieces
- Preparation, if desired, for the ABRSM grade 5 exam.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Demonstrate confidence in repertoire of grade 5 standard
- Show some confidence in application of vibrato
- Play scales of grade 5 standard using positions up to and including 7th
- Show increased confidence in sound production and different bowing techniques.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have been taking lessons for around 4 years and be able to play confidently and fluently pieces of grade 4 standard.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The tutor will direct the group, playing along with the whole class (either with the students' line or an accompaniment) or listening to individuals play. There will be material set to practise each week including pieces, scales and other relevant technical exercises. Practice time of 40 to 50 minutes daily is recommended.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Bring your own violin and bow. Please also bring a pencil and eraser. The tutor will recommend course books at the start of term.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course continues next term. You may also be interested in Chamber music 1 or 2, and String winter / Easter / summer school. You may also progress to Violin and viola: advanced at some stage: your tutor will advise.
Courses in Music theory, Musicianship and Music history will complement your practical studies.