Issues Facing Our World
In times of uncertainty, knowledge can help us understand what’s going on around us. City Lit’s range of History, Politics and Science courses explore a number of contemporary issues facing the world right now. A few of the questions we’re currently asking are:
- Can history help us navigate modern issues and crises?
- Could former US President Donald Trump make a comeback?
- How can we safeguard democracies around the world including our own?
- What are the origins of the ongoing middle eastern crises?
- Why do politicians need trust, and how do they get it?
- How do we deal with the histories of empire?
- Are there other ways of organising our economy?
- What is the impact of climate change on our lives?
Taught by experts in their field, our courses give you the opportunity to explore current affairs, historical issues, and global challenges. Join us as we discuss, debate, and dissect the answers.
- Money – myths, magic, morals and marketsFull fee £189.00 Senior fee £189.00 Concession £123.00
- Understanding the modern worldCourse start date: Tue 9 Jan 2024
Location on this date: Keeley StreetTutors: Christopher HornerExplore the ideas of four key thinkers whose ideas have vitally shaped our world. Examine their views on morality, meaning, the role and status of women, human nature, political and economic injustice and much more.
- Why do we obey? The politics of obedienceCourse start date: Tue 16 Apr 2024
Location on this date: Keeley StreetTutors: Christian MichelWe groan against bosses, berate politicians, demonstrate against most aspects of the social system, and then humbly take our orders from above. Is obedience imprinted in our genes? How submissive must people be for society to function? In this short course we will discuss the politics of obedience – drawing on psychology, anthropology, history, and political philosophy.
- More current affairsCourse start date: Wed 17 Apr 2024 (and 1 other date)
Location on this date: Keeley StreetTutors: Michael BloomfieldContinue your exploration of current affairs through lively, informed discussion. Run as a tutor-moderated discussion group of current news events. This course follows on from 'Current affairs' but new students are welcome. Tutor: Michael Bloomfield.
- Rising powers: IndiaCourse start date: Tue 7 May 2024
Location on this date: OnlineTutors: Sebastien ArdouinWithin a few decades, India has become a key global actor. What explains this rise and what does it mean for the “world’s largest democracy” and the world?
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.Full fee £169.00 Senior fee £135.00 Concession £110.00
Can't see a course you want?
Add this category to your waiting list to set up alerts and we will update you when new courses are released online.Add me to waiting list