What is the course about?
The course covers two different aspects of watercolour painting: still life and life painting.
The first part of the course will focus on still life. You will cover primary colour, secondary colour and tonal mixing. You will also cover composition and form, and scale. In the second part of the course you will focus on colour mixing, tone and techniques by painting from a life model. You will also work from the moving figure.
What will we cover?
- We will cover composition in still life painting both from a formal and an experimental approach.
- Use a range of different watercolour techniques and colour palettes.
- We will cover basic bone structure (working with a skeleton) in relation to the human form and depict this in different watercolour techniques.
- One session will be dedicated to portraits.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Mix tones and colours with watercolour.
- Paint still life setups and have an understanding of composition.
- Paint part of the human form in watercolour using specific colour ranges and techniques.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for all levels. You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, handouts and for health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in-group discussion.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught by demonstration, practical work, one to one guidance and group discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will be given advice on watercolour brushes, please bring them if you have any.
There is a charge for watercolour paper at cost price.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may wish to continue to develop your watercolour work by joining one of the courses below:
Watercolour: intermediate and advanced
Watercolour: cityscapes on location.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details