Ways into creative writing: a gentle pace
Time: 10:30 - 12:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
What is the course about?
Creative writing often comes from a very personal place and the process of writing and sharing it for the first time can seem very daunting. This introductory short course enables students new to creative writing to explore its core forms, the key language techniques you can use for effect, and some structural basics which will help you convey your message to the reader.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- The differences between various forms of creative writing
- Core techniques of creative writing
- How to unlock your creativity and gain confidence as a creative writer.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Distinguish between different types of creative writing
- Analyse approaches to structure and language specific to forms of creative writing
- Write your own creative pieces of prose and/or poetry
- Share your work with peers.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for absolute beginners. Open to students who are trying creative writing for the first time or who have never shared their work in a group setting before.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught through a mix of indivudal, pair and group work, tutor instruction, text analysis, in-class writing activities and supportive workshop. Between sessions homework may be set to aid students in developing a writing discipline.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring pen and paper.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Once you've built your confidence on this introductory course, why not try Ways into creative writing: an introduction or a term-long Ways into creative writing course?
All students are invited to join us at Late Lines, our regular performance night for City Lit writers. Students are also encouraged to submit their work to Between the Lines, our annual anthology of creative writing. For the latest news, courses and events, stay in touch with the Department on Facebook and Twitter.