What is the course about?
Pilates is a form of body conditioning that concentrates on building strength from the core (centre) of the body. It can help improve posture, muscular strength, mobility, breathing techniques and relaxation.
A variety of exercises are performed, flowing smoothly from one to the other whilst focusing on technique and control. Unlike many other body conditioning methods, Pilates focuses on working with a mild engagement of the core muscles in order to be effective.
What will we cover?
Each class will have a varied theme. Themes will include: standing well; basic knowledge of alignment; breathing patterns; working the abdominals; working for a healthy, strong back; improving spinal mobility; hip, thigh and leg exercise.
Each class builds upon the last so that you gradually become more physically challenged and as your body responds you feel more in tune and aware of your movements and stature.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use core muscles effectively
- Improve balance
- Practise lateral breathing
- Perform muscular strength exercises
- Have a working knowledge of how to improve standing posture.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for beginners and students with some experience, or those who want to work at a gentle pace. At this level you will learn all of the basic principles and techniques before being introduced to more challenging exercises. Variations are given for exercises to meet the needs of individual learners.
You will need to be able to read and write short sentences, follow verbal instructions, observe and copy physical movements and use spatial awareness within a group.
If you have suffered from any of the conditions listed below, please check with a medical practitioner whether it is suitable for you to undertake an exercise programme and bring a referral letter from your doctor to your tutor. If you have not checked, or if it is not suitable, please do not participate in an exercise or movement class.
- Do you ever have pains in your chest?
- Have you had any operations or injuries in the last year?
- Do you often feel faint or have spells of dizziness?
- Are you receiving medication for any condition?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Is there anything else we should know about your health?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem, such as arthritis, osteoporosis, back or knee problems?
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
• Practical class work
• Following tutor demonstration
• Explanations, including visualisation
• Some one-to-one guidance from the tutor, there is normally hands on correction involved.
• Group work
• Printed hand outs
• Use of images, repetition and some anatomical knowledge
Although there is no specific work set outside of the class, students will gain most benefit if exercises are performed regularly and practised between classes.
This course will be delivered online, and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You should wear loose, comfortable clothing. Information on books will be given during the course, but these are not essential. Avoid eating at least one and a half hours prior to exercising.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Students can progress to Pilates mixed levels.