What is the course about?
The 7-series book lectures will shine a light on contemporary issues of race espoused by the prominent voices of Renni Eddo-Lodge and Judy Ryde. The lectures are underpinned by counselling principles to engage learners in the topic.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Students will be lectured concisely on a combination of chapters from both book titles:
1. A Short History
2. The System
3. White Privilege
4. Fear of a Black Planet
5. The Feminism Question
6. Race and Class
7. Personal and Societal Change.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
1. The history of colonialism and privilege
2. Structural racism
3. White privilege
4. The role of fear and the impact on relationships
6. The intersections of race and class
7. Personal responsibility.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Whilst the level of the lectures are an introduction, students must have the ability to be reflexive with a willingness to learn.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Lecture style (including Q&A).
You will be required to read specific chapters from both books in order to prepare for each lecture.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to purchase both book titles:
1. Why I’m No Longer Talking To White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge (2018)
2. White Privilege Unmasked: How to Be Part of the Solution by Judy Ryde (2019)
In addition you will need to bring a pen and notebook.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Please review our new Racial Awareness Project Section online and in the term guides.