What is the course about?
You will make an historically detailed example of a Coptic binding with wooden boards.
What will we cover?
- The history and importance of Ethiopic bookbinding
- The preparation of the wooden boards and their attachment to the quires (sections)
- Sewing together the paper quires with link stitch
- Ethiopic and/or Byzantine headbands
- Braiding leather straps.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Fold paper into quires
- Mark up quires and sew with link stitch
- Drill the wooden boards and prepare them for attachment
- Sew an Ethiopic and/or Byzantine headband
- Make a braided leather strap
Note: if time allows we will also make a second book in a slightly different style.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is beginners to intermediate level and requires a basic ability to use hand tools confidently.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught by practical demonstrations, supported by individual tuition and handouts.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There will be an extra cost for materials - wooden boards, linen thread, leather. Probably between £15 - £20.
Tools will be provided but it would be useful to bring along a small hand drill or Dremel, a small carpenters square, and a notebook and pencil.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
- VD435 Bookbinding for beginners: simple leather binding
- VD410 Beginning miniature binding
- VD285 Crossed-structure and criss-cross bindings
Bookbinding: specialist courses
- VD412 Gold tooling on paper
- VD251 Working with leather: decorative techniques
- VD361 Creative arts for bookbinding II: leather dyeing techniques
- VD276 Boxes for prints
- VD292 Bookbinding: learn to bind artists' books.