What is the course about?
This course is about gaining the necessary skills and confidence in Word 2016 to create a well-written and well-presented document and is aimed at people working in an office or for people who have the relevant experience and would like to gain the skills needed to perform the more complex/higher level commands used in word processing. It will concentrate on creating/editing medium to long sized documents such as letters and reports by introducing some of the advanced features of the program.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Applying advanced text, paragraph, column and table formatting including converting text to a table and vice versa.
• Working with referencing features like footnotes, endnotes and captions and creating tables of contents, indexes and cross references.
• Enhancing productivity by using fields, forms and templates.
• Applying advanced mail merge techniques and working with automation features like macros.
• Using linking and embedding features to integrate data.
• Collaborative editing of documents.
• Working with master documents and subdocuments.
• Applying document security features.
• Working with watermarks, sections and headers and footers in a document.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Produce professional looking, well-presented longer documents
• Use the more advanced functions when applying text, paragraph, column and table formatting to a Word document.
• Add references to text, tables, images and object within a document allowing clarity and easy of reading.
• Create forms using the legacy tools to embed fields that will ensure that the correct date is entered.
• Create standard template documents for those everyday tasks
• Set rules and apply them to a mail merge document which will allow the filtering of data before the mail merge is completed.
• work with automation features like macros to speed up those everyday mundane task.
• Integrate charts, tables and documents by linking and embedding them to a to report.
• Collaborate on and review documents.
• Work with master documents and subdocuments
• Apply document security features.
• Protect a document by setting passwords to prevent unauthorised access.
• Include watermark feature to differentiate between a draft, confidential or private document, sections and headers and footers in a document.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course follows on from the Word Intermediate for the workplace course. Therefore you should either have completed the Word Intermediate course or have equivalent knowledge. Please check the course outline for Word Intermediate course to see if you have the skills and experience required to join this course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks and functions, with guidance from the tutor. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can achieve challenging aims in an enjoyable and productive way. You will have lots of opportunities to practise as well as understand what you are doing and why. Everyone will be encouraged to participate and interact in a way that is best for them, including working in pairs and groups, as well as on your own. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs for doing this course. You should bring a pen to take your own notes and a USB Flash Drive. You may sit the ECDL Word level 3 exam but will need to pay for the BCS registration, test and a proportion of the cost for an invigilator. An online sample test is also available at a small cost if you wish to check you are ready to take the exam . Please ask your tutor for more information if you are interested I taking the exam.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do at the same time or after this course. Some of these include
• Creating and delivering the perfect presentation with PowerPoint 2016 (intermediate)
• Creating and delivering the perfect presentation with PowerPoint 2016 (advanced)
• Excel 2016 Essentials
• Excel 2016 for the Workplace – intermediate or advanced
• Access 2016: Essentials
• Outlook 2016 for the workplace: managing your emails, tasks and priorities (intermediate)
•Outlook 2016 for the workplace: integrating Outlook, Excel and Word (advanced)
• IT skills for the office: intermediate
• How to be an administrator: the essentials
•How to be an administrator: time management skills
•How to be an administrator: the paperless office
• ECDL Level, 2 or 3 (with a qualification) - an assessment is required for these courses
Your tutor will advise you on the best courses for you. For courses with an exam, you will need to complete a pre-course assessment. Call 0207 492 2511 to make an appointment or for further information on any of our courses.