What is the course about?
This course will give you the skills and confidence to create well-presented detailed Word documents. We will focus on how to create and write documents such as letters, forms and reports so you can format them correctly, arrange the text and layout appropriately and add footers and headers commands like auto date, time, page numbering and other layout features. We will look at how to use Styles, indentation and mail merge to produce that professional looking document. We will focus on how to create customised and detailed tables using advanced tables commands. We will practise inserting and altering images and wrapping text around images and tables. Finally, we will practise printing documents so that they maintain their formatting and managing your files so they are easy to find.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• creating well-presented and attractive documents such as reports
• formatting, arranging text and layout, adding footers and header commands
• using Styles, indentations and mail merge
• creating customised and detailed tables using advanced table prompts
• inserting and altering images
• controlling text flow using wrap text tool
• printing documents to maintain complex formatting
• managing your files effectively.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• create well-presented and attractive documents for the workplace such a detailed letters and medium length reports
• format and arrange text and layout, adding footers and header commands
• use Styles, indentations and mail merge
• create customised and detailed tables using advanced table prompts
• insert and alter images
• control text flow using wrap text tool
• print documents to maintain complex formatting
• manage your files effectively2016.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an intermediate level course. You should be confident in the basic functions of Word and in general computer use. The course is specifically aimed at people who need to use Word in the workplace though it will also help you in everyday home use. You can call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 for more advice about your suitability for the course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is a practical hands-on course taught online using Zoom or Google Meet. You will perform tasks in class, which reflect office and work-based activities and be encouraged to practise as much as possible. You will receive regular handouts and information via Google classroom. You will have lots of opportunities to ask questions and address areas you need help in.
You will need your own computer with MS Office, preferably 2016 or later, a good internet connection and a microphone, the use of a webcam for video is optional. Mac users can also take part in this course but will have to adapt to some keyboard and tab differences. Your tutor will discuss the concepts of all the tools used and will demonstrate their uses. The course will challenge you to become more independent in your learning and less dependent on your notes/hand –outs and work colleagues.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs for doing this course. It is possible to sit an ECDL Word Level 2 exam at the end of this course but you will need to pay for the BCS registration, the test and a proportion of the cost for an invigilator. To check if you are ready to take the exam an online sample test is also available at a small cost Please ask your tutor for more information if you are interested in taking the exam.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do at the same time or after this course. These include:
• Word 206 for the workplace (Advanced)
• Excel 2016 for the workplace (intermediate)
• Access 2016: essentials
•Outlook 2016 for the workplace: managing your emails, tasks and priorities (intermediate)
•Outlook 2016 for the workplace: integrating Outlook, Excel and Word (advanced)
•How to be an administrator: the essentials
•How to be an administrator: time management skills
•How to be an administrator: the paperless office
•Office 365: an introduction
• ECDL Level 2 or Level 3 (Assessment needed)
Your tutor will advise you on the best course. For courses with an exam, you will need to complete a pre-course assessment. You can also call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 or email: email@example.com to arrange an assessment with one of our course advisors.