What is the course about?
This course will give you the skills and confidence to create well-presented detailed Word documents. We will focus on how to create and write documents such as letters, forms and reports so you can format them correctly, arrange the text and layout appropriately and add footers and headers commands like auto date, time, page numbering and other layout features. We will look at how to use Styles, indentation and mail merge to produce that professional looking document. We will focus on how to create customised and detailed tables using advanced tables commands. We will practise inserting and altering images and wrapping text around images and tables. Finally, we will practise printing documents so that they maintain their formatting and managing your files so they are easy to find.
What will we cover?
• creating well-presented and attractive documents such as reports
• formatting, arranging text and layout, adding footers and header commands
• using Styles, indentations and mail merge
• creating customised and detailed tables using advanced table prompts
• inserting and altering images
• controlling text flow using wrap text tool
• printing documents to maintain complex formatting
• managing your files effectively.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• create well-presented and attractive documents for the workplace such a detailed letters and medium length reports
• format and arrange text and layout, adding footers and header commands
• use Styles, indentations and mail merge
• create customised and detailed tables using advanced table prompts
• insert and alter images
• control text flow using wrap text tool
• print documents to maintain complex formatting
• manage your files effectively2016.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an intermediate level course. You should be confident in the basic functions of Word and in general computer use. The course is specifically aimed at people who need to use Word in the workplace though it will also help you in everyday home use. You can call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 for more advice about your suitability for the course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This will be a practical hands-on course. You will perform tasks in class which reflect office and work-based activities. You will have your own computer and be encouraged to practise as much as possible. An interactive whiteboard will help make demonstrations easy to understand. It will be a relaxed learning environment and step by step learning will help you become more skilled. You will have lots of opportunities to ask questions and address areas you need help in.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs for doing this course. You should bring a pen to take your own notes and a USB Flash Drive. It is possible to sit the ECDL Word Level 2 exam at the end of this course but you will need to pay for the BCS registration, the test and a proportion of the cost for an invigilator. To check if you are ready to take the exam an online sample test is also available at a small cost Please ask your tutor for more information if you are interested in taking the exam.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do at the same time or after this course. These include:
• Word for the workplace (Advanced)
• Excel for the workplace (intermediate)
• MS Access: essentials
• Powerpoint for the workplace (intermediate)
• MS Outlook for the workplace (intermediate)
• ECDL Level 2 (Assessment needed)
Your tutor will advise you on the best courses for you. For courses with an exam, you will need to complete a pre-course assessment. Call 0207 492 2511 to make an appointment.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details