Workplace skills: getting your point across (level 2)
Time: 18:15 - 20:45
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit). For more information click here
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Check your level
Course Code: EPA01
Duration: 9 sessions (over 9 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course will help you become a more effective communicator in the workplace and enable you to develop some of the most in-demand work skills including how to influence people and discussions, how to challenge others effectively and how to get your point of view across in both speaking and writing. You will practise how to communicate in meetings, intervene in discussions, disagree with others, use data and evidence to exemplify your points, highlight important information and ideas, speak and write concisely and paragraph and sequence your writing.
What will we cover?
• articulating your point of view - in meetings, emails, reports and proposals
• identifying when to intervene in meetings
•challenging others effectively and constructively
• following a debate or discussion
• using data and evidence to exemplify your arguments
• identifying and highlighting keep points
• speaking and writing concisely but in detail - saying more with less
• paragraphing effectively
• sequencing your argument
• writing persuasively.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• articulate your point of view - in meetings, emails, reports and proposals
• identify when to intervene in meetings
•challenge others effectively and constructively
• follow a debate or discussion
• use data and evidence to exemplify your arguments
• identify and highlighting keep points
• speak and writing concise but in detail - saying more with less
• paragraph effectively
• sequence your argument
• write persuasively.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for people with GCSE level English who are operating at this level in the workplace. It will be of benefit to anyone who wants to develop their ability to get their point across at work. If you are working at a lower level than this, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7492 2511 for other courses you can do.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, at the same time or after this course. These include:
• Develop your confidence in writing: sentence formation, grammar and punctuation in everyday writing (level 1-2)
• Develop your confidence in writing: finding the right tone and improving your style (level 1-2)
• Develop your writing for inside and outside the workplace: how to make your writing organised, clear and to the point (level 2)
• Develop your reading and writing for inside and outside the workplace: read well, write well - analysing, evaluating and making decisions about what you read (level 2)
• Effective decision-making for new managers: analysing, problem-solving problem-preventing, strategic thinking
• Workplace skills: how to work effectively with other people and be a team person
We also have a number of maths courses and digital skills courses to help you at work including:
• Workplace skills: how to collaborate, coordinate and build relationships through the Cloud using One Drive and SharePoint
• Workplace skills: how to collaborate, coordinate and build relationships with Microsoft Teams
Ask your tutor or contact email@example.com / 020 7492 2511 for more details.