What is the course about?
To introduce players and non-players to fundamentals of samba and relevant percussion instruments. We will progress to playing samba arrangements, including intros, breakdowns and breaks.
What will we cover?
- instrumental technique and basic time keeping patterns
- authentic samba rhythms
- creating arrangements and enjoy playing as a group.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- recognise and play a number of basic samba rhythms
- have a grasp of instrumental technique on a variety of authentic instruments
- be able to 'lock into' a groove and have a sense of good timekeeping/feel/pulse.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous playing experience needed but drumset or percussion skills are useful.
You need to be able to listen to and follow instructions in English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Mainly section work playing as a percussion ensemble, some individual help with technique. Recorded examples also feature.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You may bring small hand percussion, if preferred (e.g. tambourim, bells, ganza), all other instruments supplied.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Latin Percussion, Play congas, drum kit courses.