What is the course about?
Do you have a story to tell that will move, delight, stir and inform readers? This course guides students in planning and crafting a memoir. Students will explore both the language and structural elements of writing a memoir.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Where to start your story.
- Which segments of the story to include in your memoir.
- Language techniques that work well in the genre.
- Structural techniques that work well in the genre.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Select an appropriate starting point for your memoir.
- Develop an engaging opening to your memoir.
- Select appropriate material for subsequent chapters.
- Understand language and structural techniques that work well in the genre.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Although this is an introductory course, it would be useful for students to have working knowledge of language techniques used in creative writing.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Students will be guided through a mix of pair work, group work, formal instruction from the tutor, writing exercises and workshopping.
All writing courses at City Lit will involve an element of workshop. This means that students will produce work which will be discussed in an open and constructive environment with the tutor and other students. The college operates a policy of constructive criticism, and all feedback on another student’s work by the tutor and other students should be delivered in that spirit.
For classes longer than one day, regular reading and writing exercises will be set for completion at home to set deadlines.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offer a range of creative non-fiction courses that would enable those writing a memoir to further develop their skills. Browse the writing section of our website for further information.
All students are invited to join us at Late Lines, our regular performance night for City Lit writers. Students are also encouraged to submit their work to Between the Lines, our annual anthology of creative writing. For the latest news, courses and events, stay in touch with the Department on Facebook and Twitter.