What is the course about?
If you love romantic comedies and think you could have a great idea for one, this fun short course will help you get started on your script. You'll discuss clips of successful rom-coms and learn the conventions of the genre, alongside some fundamentals of screenwriting. Through a series of guided exercises and games you'll have fun developing your idea and honing your writing skills.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- What is a romantic comedy?
- Romantic comedy conventions
- How to create a great romantic pairing
- Writing a strong rom-com plot
- Subverting convention.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Identify some conventions of romantic comedy
- Understand the principles of the three act structure in screenwriting
- Create characters who make a strong romantic pairing
- Write the opening scene for a romantic comedy
- Give and receive feedback with sensitivity.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an intermediate course suitable for those with some experience of creative writing. It may help if you have taken a screenwriting class prior because this course will focus on elements of screenwriting specific to the genre of romantic comedy. You will need to be an enthusiastic viewer of rom-coms, comfortable sharing your ideas and writing, and fluent in English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn though a combination of interactive tutor presentation, discussion and analysis of film clips and scripts, group work, guided writing exercises and feedback activities.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs. You are required to bring a brief (one-page max) summary of your rom-com idea. Please bring writing materials.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You are welcome to enrol on one of our term-long screenwriting classes such as Ways into screenwriting (beginners), or Developing your screenwriting (intermediate).
All students are invited to join us at Late Lines, our regular performance night for City Lit writers. Students are also encouraged to submit their work to Between the Lines, our annual anthology of creative writing. For the latest news, courses and events, stay in touch with the Department on Facebook and Twitter.