Writing and photography: text and image workshop
Time: 14:00 - 16:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: VO258
Duration: 8 sessions (over 8 weeks)
What is the course about?
- Ways of interpreting photographs, and writing about them
- Using photographs to generate writing.
- Combining text and image.
- Using text to add to or change the meaning of a photograph.
- Writing about photographic work for press or publicity.
- A brief look at the ways artists and photographers have combined image and text.
This course is for photographers wishing to explore new directions and for writers wishing to use photographs. Please note it will not offer teaching on technical or practical aspects of photography, Photoshop, or montage techniques. The focus of each session will be on exploring ideas and approaches.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Different ways to combine text and photos and to incorporate photos in text
- Using writing to open up the meaning of images
- Exploring how photos affect or create memory and history
- Using photos to support different modes of creative writing
- How texts, particularly captions or titles, can change our understanding of an image
- Participants’ experience with the writing process.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Create new work which combines image and text
- Write new work exploring photographs
- Have increased confidence in your understanding of both writing and photography
- Produce some publicity material.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have some practical experience of either writing or photography and be prepared to experiment with either or both during the course. We will support students to work at a level which suits them. If you see yourself as a beginner or someone who struggles with writing, please let us know.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught with workshops, short lectures, practical exercises, group discussion and handouts. There will be assignments set to work on outside the class. The City Lit uses Google Classroom for handouts and work submission etc. and Zoom for the online classes. You will be sent joining instructions by email.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All students will need a notebook and/or paper. You will need a stable internet connection.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Ways into Creative Writing
Developing Your Poetry
Photography discussion group with Shirley Read
Talks about photography
Exhibiting photography: a practical guide.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.