Writing for blogs: a taster
Time: 18:00 - 20:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now finished
What is the course about?
This fun and interactive workshop provides introductory information to students who are just starting their blogging journey. Tips, techniques and approaches to writing intriguing, compelling and inspiring blogposts will be provided.
Students say: "I really enjoyed this course - it was so helpful for a beginner"; "very helpful, informative and engaging"; "loads of useful information"; "brilliant tutor, insightful teaching - I learnt a lot in a few hours.".
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Develop an understanding of why you want to blog and what you hope to get from it
- Start to understand who you want your reader to be, and why they would want to read your blog
- Learn more about the different style of blogs
- Understand the basics that a blog post and a blog should contain
- Begin to understand how a blog gets found by others, and how you can promote your blog
- A chance to ask questions about your own blog ideas.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Understand what you want your blog to be, and have tangible 'next steps' to work on
- Develop your understanding of blogs, and what being a blogger means.
- Generate a list of blog post ideas that you're ready to write.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners course. Students will need to write in fluent English and will need an enthusiasm for starting or developing their own blog.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught with a mix of pair work, tutor instruction, short writing tasks and extract analysis.
City Lit Writing endeavours to create a safe and welcoming space for all and we strongly support the use of content notes in our classes. This means that learners are encouraged to make their tutor and classmates aware in advance if any writing they wish to share contains material that may be deemed sensitive. If you are unsure about what might constitute sensitive content, please ask your tutor for further clarification and read our expectations for participating in writing courses at City Lit.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offers a range of non-fiction writing courses. For more information, browse the writing section of our website.
All students are invited to join us at Late Lines, our regular performance night for City Lit writers. Students are also encouraged to submit their work to Between the Lines, our annual anthology of creative writing. For the latest news, courses and events, stay in touch with the Department on Facebook and Twitter.
An ex-secondary school teacher, Head of Department and senior manager, Terry Freedman has been blogging and freelance writing since the 1990s. He has authored a number of books, both published and self-published, and is a member of the Society of Authors, where he was a member of the Educational Writers Group committee for several years. He has written articles for many publications, including The Guardian, TES and Teach Secondary, and blog posts for companies in the education sphere. He holds a BA, MA and Post-Graduate Certificate in Education, and is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and a member of the British Computer Society.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.