What is the course about?
Here Yoga is taught in sign language with voice-on by request for students who are hearing impaired. The course offers an introduction to Yoga in an accessible environment. You will learn the basic yoga postures, how to do them safely.
Yoga is good for increasing flexibility, strength and confidence. With some focus on improving the breath, Yoga also helps to reduce stress by connecting to inner peace.
General health will improve with weekly yoga classes.
What will we cover?
- Standing, sitting and lying down postures, including forward and back bends
- Inverted (upside-down) postures (optional)
- Breathing exercises
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Demonstrate basic yoga postures and breathing exercises with guidance
- Improve body awareness
- Follow the teachers instructions and demonstrations
- Describe some benefits of yoga
- Obtain improved flexibility, strength, and inner peace.
- Practise a simple breathing exercise.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This class is suitable for complete beginners regardless of age, gender and fitness level.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Demonstration and practice
- Follow me
- Question and answer.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Wear comfortable clothing suitabe for exercise. All equipment will be provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Yoga for Deaf: mixed levels. Yor tutor will advise you when you are ready for ths course.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details