What is the course about?
Here Yoga is taught in sign language with voice-on by request for students who are hearing impaired. The course offers Yoga in an accessible environment. You will learn more yoga postures, their benefits and how to do them safely.
What will we cover?
- Standing, sitting and lying down postures, including forward and back bends
- Inverted (upside-down) postures (optional)
- Breathing exercises
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- follow teacher instructions correctly and accurately
- perform yoga postures and sequences correctly and independently
- Improve body awareness
- know which props you require for certain postures
- describe some benefits of yoga
- obtain improved flexibility, strength, and stress release.
- practise alternate nostril breathing.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This class is suitable for yoga students with 2 or 3 terms of experience.
PLEASE SEE THE PRE-EXERCISE CHECK LIST BELOW:
To make sure we are providing safe and healthy environment for you to do yoga, please look at the list below. If you have any health issues please check with your GP that its ok for you to do yoga. If GP says it is not ok please do not participate in an exercise or movement class.
PLEASE INFORM THE TUTOR OF ANY HEALTH CONDITION THAT COULD AFFECT YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE CLASS.
This Yoga class is not suitable if you have:
Hypertension (high blood pressure)
Conditions associated with Heart Disease, Cancer or benign tumours
Epilepsy including Petit Mal
MS (Multiple Sclerosis)
ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis)
Recent post-operative conditions
New students who are pregnant.
If you need advice or are not sure if it is ok for you to do this class, ask the Department Office .
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- sign language with voice-on by request for students who are hearing impaired
- copy me
- physical adjustment (optional)
- questions and answers.
This course will be delivered online, and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Yoga equipment including mats will be provided.
Please wear loose, comfortable clothing and bring something to keep you warm during relaxation. Postures are performed barefoot but you may wear non-slip socks if you prefer.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
More deaf yoga.