What is the course about?
This course offers an introduction to Iyengar Yoga practice. You will learn correct alignment and use a variety of yoga equipment to support you and deepen your learning.
Yoga increases body and breath awareness; it improves posture and increases stamina and flexibility, enhancing our quality of breathing and range of movement. It also teaches how to release tensions which help reduce stress in our daily life.
Attending a weekly yoga class will improve your general health and well being. Regular practice of yoga has been proven to have a beneficial effect on general health. Enter the class feeling tired and stiff, leave refreshed, relaxed and energized.
Please check out the website of the tutor: https://www.baillirinayoga.co.uk/classes.
What will we cover?
- Standing, sitting and lying down postures, including forward and back bends
- Easy inverted (upside-down) postures
Postures will be adapted and alternatives offered to suit students level of experience and ability.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Increase your observation skills
- Follow the teachers instructions and demonstrations
- Improve your body awareness
- Practise relaxation with guidance
- Describe some benefits of yoga
- Obtain improved flexibility, strength, stamina and peace of mind.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This class is suitable for complete beginners regardless of age, gender and fitness level. You will need to be able to follow verbal instructions, observe and copy physical movements and use spatial awareness within a group.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Demonstration and practice
- Imitating teacher's demonstration
- Verbal instruction
- Physical adjustment (optional)
- Questions and answers
- Mini lecture.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Yoga equipment including mats will be provided.
Please wear loose, comfortable clothing and bring something to keep you warm during relaxation. Postures are performed barefoot. Please keep jewelry and perfume to a minimum.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
- Progression to a mixed levels course at City Lit, or
- Yoga holidays, weekends etc
- Students need 2 years of beginner/mixed levels classes before joining an Intermediate class.
- Students could, however, after 4 weeks, begin regular daily practice and progress more rapidly.
- Home practice is encouraged to enhance progress and enjoy the benefits of your Yoga practice.
For dedicated students, after 3 years of regular practice and continuous class attendance, progression to a recognised Iyengar Teacher training course (e.g. at the Iyengar Yoga Institute in Maida Vale).