Yoga: mixed levels
Time: 18:00 - 19:15
Location: Keeley Street
This is an in-person only course.
This course has now started
What is the course about?
This course offers an introduction to yoga practice for those new to yoga and those who have some previous experience. Yoga increases body and breath awareness; it improves posture, stamina and flexibility, enhances our quality of breathing and teaches relaxation techniques which help reduce stress in our daily life. Attending a weekly yoga class will improve your general health and well being. Arrive feeling tired and achy, leave refreshed, relaxed and energised.
What will we cover?
- Standing, sitting and lying down postures, including twists, forward and back bends
- Inverted (upside-down) postures (optional)
- Breathing exercises
- Relaxation and visualisation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Perform basic yoga postures and breathing exercises with and without the guidance
- Understand the proper body alignments in various yoga poses
- Increase your observation skills
- Follow the teacher's instructions and demonstrations
- Improve your body awareness
- Practise relaxation with guidance
- Describe some benefits of yoga
- Obtain improved flexibility, strength, stamina and peace of mind
- Practise some breathing techniques.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for beginners with some yoga experience and also for more experienced students. You will need to be able to follow verbal instructions, observe and copy physical movements and use spatial awareness.
To assist us in providing a safe and healthy environment for you to exercise in please take a moment to consider the list below. If you have suffered from any of the conditions listed, please check with a medical practitioner whether it is suitable for you to undertake an exercise programme and show a referral letter from your doctor to your tutor. If you have not checked, or if it is not suitable, please do not participate in an exercise or movement class.
- Do you ever have pains in your chest?
- Have you had any operations or injuries in the last year?
- Do you often feel faint or have spells of dizziness?
- Are you receiving medication for any condition?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Is there anything else we should know about your health?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem, such as arthritis, osteoporosis, back or knee problems?
- Are you pregnant?
Advice can be sought from the Department Office for those who have concerns about the suitability of the class for them.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Demonstration and practice
- Follow me
- Verbal instruction
- Questions and answers
- Mini lecture
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Yoga mats and all other props are provided. Please wear loose, comfortable clothing and try not to eat a big meal just before the class. Postures are performed barefoot but you may wear non-slip socks if you prefer.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may like to progress to another mixed or intermediate levels yoga course at City Lit.
Biljana was originally trained in the Yoga Body of Light style of Hatha Yoga (www.aurolabyoga.net) in the UK and India, and has been teaching it since 2008. Apart from her main teacher, Sama Fabian, Biljana has been studying and drawing inspiration from a number of prominent teachers from differring Yoga styles and lineages. Biljana offers her students a positive and joyful experience, allowing Yoga to work for each individual. Apart from City Lit, she has taught a wide range of students with mixed skills, abilities and specific needs and within different settings, such as charities, gyms, mental health centres and corporate organisations, as well as her private classes. As a Counsellor, Biljana has always been interested in body-mind connection and the therapeutic aspects of Yoga.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.