Creative non-fiction: an introduction
Time: 17:30 - 19:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
What is the course about?
This is an introductory course which covers core elements of the creative non-fiction genre from first principle. Students will be encouraged to think creatively and imaginatively about their approach to writing their own creative non-fiction.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- What is creative non-fiction?
- How do we constructively analyse a creative non-fiction text?
- Which core language and structural techniques are used for effect?
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Develop your understanding of the creative non-fiction genre.
- Constructively analyse creative non-fiction texts.
- Write your own creative non-fiction pieces.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No formal requirements except a good standard of literacy and a love of reading.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Analysis of short pieces in class through group discussion.
- Regular individual short writing exercises.
- Formal instruction from the teacher combined with group discussion.
City Lit Writing endeavours to create a safe and welcoming space for all and we strongly support the use of content notes in our classes. This means that learners are encouraged to make their tutor and classmates aware in advance if any writing they wish to share contains material that may be deemed sensitive. If you are unsure about what might constitute sensitive content, please ask your tutor for further clarification and read our expectations for participating in writing courses at City Lit.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
The Writing department offers a range of creative writing courses, including Autobiographical writing, Biography writing, Writing a memoir and The art of the personal essay.