Cultural History and Politics
Time: 18:00 - 19:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: HMI05
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course explores approaches to history making and historical consciousness through the significance of cultural practices. By taking a closer look at representations of the past and the formation of beliefs and ideology, this course will investigate the role of social, cultural and political processes in which meaning is created, circulated and contested through visual and material culture.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Central themes and issues include:
• Representation of Britishness in relation to race, ethnicity, and nation
• Images and memories
• Material culture and the practices of collecting
• The role, ethics, and politics of museum practices.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
By the end of the course, students will:
• Engage, question, and challenge the ways in which history is constructed and disseminated through visual and material culture
• Develop general knowledge of commemorative and collecting practices and politics.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The module is introductory and assumes no prior knowledge.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course will be divided between tutors Martin Jorgensen and Amy Matthewson. There will be readings every week that students should prepare to discuss during class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No. Readings will be available on Google Classroom.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Further studies on memory, history, identity. Please check the history section for more courses.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.