Deaf history part 2
Time: 17:30 - 20:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: QH101
Duration: 6 sessions (over 7 weeks)
What is the course about?
You will find out about the history of Deaf people in Britain and how they created Deaf media, BSL interpreting, Deaf drama, Deaf sport and many more that have shaped the development of the Deaf community in Britain.
This is a live course. You need an internet connection. The classes work best with the Chrome browser.
A computer with a camera is best – e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook. BSL classes do not need a microphone as it is visual.
iPad/smartphone/iPhone are not suitable – they are too small.
We will contact you with joining instruction and netiquette for BSL class.
What will we cover?
What topics will we cover?
- the history of Deaf media with ‘Vision On’ and other deaf programmes
- the development of BSL interpreting
- the history of ‘Units’ and mainstream education
- development of Deaf clubs
- Deaf sports throughout the history starting in Glasgow.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
By the end of the course you should be able to:
- describe the history of Deaf education from 1880 to the present day
- describe the development of Deaf club meetings from Coffee house meetings in the mid 19th century
- describe how missioners helped shape the Deaf community.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course content is at level 1. The course is taught in BSL and so you will need at least level 2 skills in order to follow the teaching.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Classes will be taught using Zoom. Teaching delivery methods will include:
- pair / group work
- question and answer.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You are advised to bring a folder, paper and pens for taking notes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
We have a range of post-level 2 BSL courses, up to level 6.