Designing textiles using Illustrator: expanding personal projects
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: VO135
Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course is for textile print designers, artists and students who want to build on their portfolio or creative design work developing concepts and creative ideas while improving on technical knowledge in Adobe Illustrator. You will develop your understanding of textile print switching between Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator programmes. You will explore software drawing tools, create tiles for pattern swatches advancing repeat pattern knowledge. You will work from an existing project, mood board or build from a collection of designs while working from a guided technical pathway enhancing your design and artwork.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Identity and expand pattern knowledge for your personal project building on existing drawing skills, developing imaginative responses to your starting inspiration/ mood board
- Experiment using Adobe Illustrator tools to create basic linear tiles including stripes and plaids
- Explore pattern work learning technical principles of half drop repeats and seamless structures in Illustrator using original motifs or artwork
- Expand your pattern knowledge learning technical principles of diamond repeats and Ogee patterns
- Learn how to add borders to placement patterns
- Improving pattern knowledge and understanding from historical and contemporary textile design.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Improve on knowledge and confidence of using Adobe Illustrator.
- Create and manipulate structural tiles using Adobe Illustrator for pattern making.
- Expand designs or artwork using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator switching between the two programmes expanding on swatches and tiles.
- Identify repeat pattern structures best suitable for your artwork and project.
- Engage and share in supportive critical discussion of your own work and of others.
More experienced learners will be able to:
- Embed your own original artwork into all design structures as above.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an intermediate Illustrator and Photoshop course. You must be confident to navigate through both programmes. Ideal for learners who have experience in creating repeat patterns like half drop and seamless repeats in Photoshop but may need refreshers using Illustrator to advance on pattern work for projects.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- This course will be taught online using live demonstrations sessions using Zoom and eLearning platforms.
- Practical exercises, class discussions, critiques and 1:1 tutorials.
- As homework It is expected that you will work on personal projects outside of the class time to develop your work as the course progresses to improve on designs and skills.
- You will need to login into our Google Classroom before our sessions start as all course materials and tasks will be held here. You will be emailed a joining code nearer the time.
- You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, and tasks. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculation.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
- You will need a computer with update-to date version of Adobe Creative Suite and update version of Chrome as a browser. Your computer must have a camera built in as we will be sharing screens in live sessions.
- You will need to have access to Adobe Creative Suite. If you do not have the software City Lit can provide a temporary license that will last for the duration of this course. If you require more information please contact us on email@example.com. Please visit this link to check the software and hardware requirements for installing Adobe CC software: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html
- You will require a good broadband connection as mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle will not provide sufficient bandwidth at times when demonstrating in Adobe.
- Please use headphones with microphones during our sessions as this will block out all room noise in sessions
- Some basic drawings materials, black pens, a sketchbook or A4 white paper, or note pad to take notes
- Using your phone to take images if you normally use a scanner.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Have a browse of our other textile design or Adobe courses on the links above.
Kirsty Kirkpatrick is a designer-maker whose innovative, pattern-based designs have appeared at Berlin Fashion Week, The British Council, Tate Modern and Royal Academy of Arts. Her work puts social responsibility and ethical thinking at its heart, and has featured in, amongst others, The Guardian, The Sunday Times and The Observer. Kirsty studied Constructed Textiles at Duncan of Jordanstone School of Art & Design, Dundee, and is an alum of Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design. She has spoken at the London Design Festival and internationally for WGSN on design development trends and insight for the fashion and interiors industry. Kirsty merges the old with new, specialising in process; applying digital and new technologies with traditional hand making. She teaches textile design using Photoshop and Illustrator and, laser cutting. Her experience of teaching adults is wide ranging from lecturing to delivering workshops, and she has a passion for using her expertise to help others develop their skills, achieve their potential and transform their lives. Her approach is highly supportive, collaborative and hands on. Expect to experiment...and to have fun.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.