Develop your English: reading for pleasure (level 1-2)
Time: 18:30 - 20:30
Before this course, you need to do a pre-course assessment. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7492 2511 or click the Start Assessment button on this page. Log on with your email address (not name).Use Chrome if possible.
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Check your level
Course Code: AERP01
Duration: 10 sessions (over 10 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course will help reading become a pleasurable and meaningful experience for you. We will choose different types of writing and talk about what we do and don’t like about them and why. We will examine why the texts affect us. We will make connections with our own lives and the lives of those around us and use the texts as a basis for wider discussions. We will explore the vocabulary. By taking this relaxed but sometimes challenging approach your confidence in reading will develop and you will discover what a good reader you already are.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• reading short stories, bits of novels, poems, parts of biographies, bogs, newspaper articles
• identifying and talking about what you like and do not like about the texts
• sharing and discussing different points of view about texts
• identifying and analysing why different texts affect you
• making connections between events or characters in the texts with the wider world including our own lives
• exploring vocabulary and why certain words are better than others in different contexts
• recording your experiences of the different readings.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• be confident you can read more than you are reading now and do this independently and for pleasure
• read short stories, bits of novels, poems, parts of biographies, bogs, newspaper articles with increased confidence
• identify and talk about what you like and do not like about texts
• share and discuss different points of view about texts
• identify and analyse why different texts have affected you
• make connections between events or characters in the texts with the wider world including your own life
• explore vocabulary and say why certain words are better than others depending on the context
• record your experiences of the different readings.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for people whose English is level 1-2 (near GCSE level) who want to develop confidence in their own ability to read fiction or other forms of writing for pleasure. The course is particularly aimed at people who can read when they need to but who are aware that they could develop their reading practises much more and would benefit from being a keen reader. You will need to complete a pre-course assessment before doing this course. Click on Start Assessment or contact 020 7492 email@example.com to arrange a face-to-face assessment.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment. The tutor will help you discover rules and features of English. You will work on your own and with other students. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, at the same time or after this course. These include::
• Develop your confidence in writing: finding the right tone and improving your style (level 1-2)
• Develop your writing for inside and outside the workplace: how to make your writing organised, clear and to the point (level 2)
• Develop your reading and writing for inside and outside the workplace: read well, write well - analysing, evaluating and making decisions about what you read (level 2)
• Develop your English: grammar foundation (level 1-2)
•Develop your writing: through grammar (level 1-2)
• English for the Office: with digital skills (Level 1-2)
You might also want to do a qualification:
• Getting ready for English Language GCSE
• AC10B/103 English Language GCSE
English Functional Skills Level 2
There also many other English, maths and digital skills courses you can do. Ask your tutor or contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7492 2511 for more details.
email: Universal.email@example.com or ring 0207 492 2511 for information/assessment.