Develop your writing for inside and outside the workplace: how to make your writing organised, clear and to the point (level 2)
Time: 10:00 - 12:00
Before this course, you need to do a pre-course assessment. Contact email@example.com / 020 7492 2511 or click the Start Assessment button on this page. Log on with your email address (not name). Use Chrome if possible.
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit). For more information click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Check your level
Course Code: AEWPC01
Duration: 11 sessions (over 11 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course will use literary and non-literary texts to help you develop your different types of writing so that inside and outside the workplace you will link ideas effectively, and the point(s) you want to make are identifiable, well made and impacting. You will focus on how to structure whole texts as well as individual paragraphs, how to join ideas and points within paragraphs and how to link these paragraphs so that your overall idea or point emerges. You will develop your vocabulary so you can express more with fewer words and you will also explore the effects of different grammatical features. You will examine different ways of organising your texts, how to begin writing, plan and prepare effectively, select evidence, and write meaningful introductions and conclusions.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• identifying how different texts are structured – fact and fiction
• planning and organising texts so that the ideas and arguments are developed logically
• ways of linking ideas and paragraphs
• identifying and using key features of well structured paragraphs
• choosing the right word to avoid unnecessary repetition and to say more with less
• identifying and using key grammatical features to aid concision and coherence
• identifying the key features of meaningful and effective introductions and conclusions
• writing meaningful and effective introductions and conclusions.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• write different types of texts both for the workplace and beyond which are concise, coherent and well-organised so that the ideas flow logically and with clarity
• Identify how different texts are structured – fact and fiction
• plan and organise texts so that the ideas and arguments are developed logically
• identify and use ways of linking ideas and paragraphs
• identify and use key features of well structured paragraphs
• use vocabulary more effectively to avoid unnecessary repetition and to say more with less
• identify and use key grammatical features to aid concision and coherence
• identify the key features of meaningful and effective introductions and conclusions
• write meaningful and effective introductions and conclusions.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for anyone who wants to improve their writing skills in the workplace or outside whose English is level 2 (working towards GCSE). It is ideal for anyone who would like to do an English GCSE or Level 2 Functional Skills but does not need or have the time to do the full qualification. It would also be good preparation for anyone wanting to do these qualifications or who would like extra help while currently doing them. However, the focus is on English skills not passing an exam. Anyone wishing to do this this course will need to complete a pre-course assessment to make sure you are on the right course. Click on Start Assessment or contact 020 7492 firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a face-to-face assessment.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment. The tutor will help you discover rules and features of English. You will work on your own and with other students. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a lined A4 writing pads, pen, a folder for assignments and any other appropriate stationery. You will be expected to maintain a course folder of handouts and your assignments. If you are on a low income you may be able to apply to the Bursary Fund for help with the costs of the course (e.g. fares, books, materials). Access to a computer is beneficial.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, at the same time or after this course. These include:
• Develop your confidence in writing: sentence formation, grammar and punctuation in everyday writing (level 1-2)
• Develop your confidence in writing: finding the right tone and improving your style (level 1-2)
• Develop your reading and writing for inside and outside the workplace: read well, write well - analysing, evaluating and making decisions about what you read (level 2)
• Workplace skills: getting your point across (level 2)
• Workplace skills: how to work effectively with other people and be a team person
• Workplace skills: communicating, negotiating and influencing (level 2
• Develop your English: reading for pleasure (Level 1-2)
•Develop your English: grammar foundation (level 1-2)
• English for the Office: with digital skills (Level 1-2)
You might also want to do a qualification:
• Getting ready for English Language GCSE
• English Language GCSE
• English Functional Skills Level 2
There also many other English, maths and digital skills courses you can do. Ask your tutor or contact email@example.com / 020 7492 2511 for more details.