Drawing from house plants and flowers
Time: 11:00 - 13:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: VO228
Duration: 5 sessions (over 5 weeks)
What is the course about?
Knowing where to start can be daunting - in this practical course each week we will explore different approaches and techniques for drawing from plants and flowers. From simple line drawings to looking at the contours of plant forms and how to really explore the structure of different species. We start with black and white materials then progress to using colour through pastel work and trying out a variety of pastel techniques to build rich jewel-like colours and surface textures.
Demonstrations of techniques and examples of artists work will be included in this course.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Session 1: Mark-making and contour line drawing
Session 2: Tone – exploring plant and flower structure using tone
Session 3: Colour and Composition – using chalk pastels to build rich colour
Session 4: Contrasting Colour – experimenting with ways of using contrast
Session 5: Combining Techniques & Materials – developing a more personal piece.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Make drawings that explore qualities such as line, tone and texture
- Analyse the basic structure of flowers and their foliage and simplify complex forms
- Explore pastel techniques including blending, overlaying and scumbling
- Use colour theory to modify colour
- Develop a larger scaled composition using compositional elements.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is designed for all levels and invites those from complete beginners to those with some drawing experience.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Learners will be expected to join and participate in activities posted on the shared Google Classroom. Full details of this will be provided on enrolment and a reminder email sent out 3 days before the course starts.
- You will be taught using Zoom for the live sessions with your tutor. You will receive an email 2.5hrs before your session starts with details of the live session link. Please be aware you will need to check your email address associated with your account within this window. Please amend and delete as suitable
- We use Google Classroom E-learning platform which will store all tasks/notes/resources/ demo videos. You will need to login into our Google classroom before each sessions starts.
- You will need a computer or laptop. Ideally with a fully updated google Chrome browser.
- Using headphones with microphones will block out all room noise in sessions.
- If you are using a tablet or mobile device you will need a microphone, and optionally a camera.
- You will require a good broadband connection as mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle will not provide sufficient Bandwidth for live sessions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please do use whatever you can find at home, plants from around your house and/or you may wish to purchase some flowers if you don’t have access to a garden.
You will need some basic drawing materials. Please use whatever you have to hand already and there are some suggestions below.
- Graphite pencil HB/B or 2B, eraser, charcoal sticks, oil or chalk pastels (basic colour range), cartridge paper A3 or an A3 sketchbook, masking tape or clip, scissors
PENCILS, OIL PASTELS, CHALK PASTELS, CHARCOAL, SKETCHBOOK.
Need art supplies? Our partner London Graphic Centre has everything you need from pencil to printing services, at 15% off.
To get an LGC discount card, students will need to show proof/ confirmation of enrolment of them being a student at City Lit. You can apply for our card in-store or by simply emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with a scan or photo of relevant confirmation. The student discount does not apply to products that are already discounted or on offer. More.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
We offer a range of online courses and workshops in drawing, painting, printmaking and more. For more information and details about our upcoming courses please visit www.citylit.ac.uk.
Kim is an award winning figurative artist. She studied Fine Art at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art, Dundee (1999-2003) and the Royal Drawing School (2007-09). Her studio work focuses on painting directly from subjects such as still-life and the figure and portrait. Working predominantly in oils she uses gestural paint handling to seek out the emergent subject. Kim exhibits her work regularly and has had work selected for the BP Portrait Award, Royal Society of Portrait Painters, Lynn Painter Stainers Prize, ING Discerning Eye and more recently the Scottish Portrait Award (2019). She is the recipient of numerous awards and scholarships, most notably in 2005 she was the winner of the Aspect Prize, one of Scotland’s most prestigious painting prizes for emerging artists. An experienced art tutor, Kim has taught students of all ages and levels at institutions such as The Royal Drawing School, Candid Arts Trust, Central Saint Martins, London Drawing and London College of Communication. Website: www.kimscouller.com Instagram: @kim_scouller
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.