Time: 12:15 - 13:45
Location: Keeley Street
- Course Code: ME634
- Dates: 20/04/24 - 29/06/24
- Time: 12:15 - 13:45
- Taught: Sat, Daytime
- Duration: 11 sessions (over 11 weeks)
- Location: Keeley Street
- Tutor: Mark Huggett
Course Code: ME634
Duration: 11 sessions (over 11 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
Develop your technical skillbase and develop stylistic authenticity when playing a range of contemporary grooves.
What will we cover?
- The establishment of a good practice routine
- Intermediate level coordinated independence
- Fluency of mobility around the kit
- Study of contemporary styles, and classic grooves
- Rock, funk,and latin styles
- Analysis of predominant drummers
- Practice at reading music for drums, repertoire from Rockschool grade 3.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Develop and sustain a practice routine away from class
- Enjoy improved stick control and rudimental technique and apply this to drumset
- Play different styles with the correct 'feel'
- Demonstrate 4-way coordination for drums
- read for drum kit
- play alone with confidence.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
For players who have successfully completed a year of drum tuition. To include:
- the ability to play 8th note grooves (basic rock and pop beats)
- the ability to play paradiddles
- the ability to play triplet or 12/8 feel groove (blues, shuffle)
- the ability to learn in a group and take part in group activities
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Using practice kits and pads; tutor demonstration; listen to and discuss recorded samples; playing together, and solo; learning grooves by ear and from notation; individual coaching. Sometimes we will play a groove together for a sustained period.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Bring your sticks! You will need to purchase a book on the advice of the tutor.
Extensive learning resources are available in the google classroom.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Drumming 2B will follow next term.
I am a fully qualifiied teacher (PGCE) and professional musician . I have taught for City Lit since 2008 and have also taught in Secondary school and private Music college. I also work on Jazz Summer schools and workshops in partnership with The Vortex Jazz Club I have played Drums with a wide range of artists such as Prince Buster, Annie Whitehead and Jason Rebello. I have also played a wide range of styles from Jazz to Ska and Rock and electronic music . I run the independent Jazz label Jazz Direct and have produced many albums, one of which, Max Roach Park was nominated for Jazz album of the year in South Africa. I've worked extensively in TV and radio and toured all over Europe including major festivals such as Glastonbury, and in South Africa I love Music and I love teaching and am currently enjoying exploring all the possibilities of online delivery of teaching. I have a home recording studio using Logic Pro and a location recording set up for concerts. I have set up my home studio to faciltate online learning I also love Art and have a BA in Fine Art and believe in the power of Music and Art to unlock creative potential and enrich peoples lives.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.