Effective counselling skills for speech and language therapists
Time: 09:30 - 17:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: XS503A
Duration: 3 sessions
What is the course about?
The course is based on Carl Rogers' person centered approach to counselling and will help you to develop your counselling skills for use within the speech and language therapy context.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
The following topics will be covered:
- Hearing the story
- Ways of responding including paraphrasing, reflecting and questioning
- Practice counselling skills session
- Developing the therapeutic relationship
- Active listening
- Empathy, unconditional positive regard and congruence
- Challenge and support
- Self care
- Relevance of counselling skills for different client groups
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
1. distinguish counselling skills from counselling
2. identify the core conditions
3. demonstrate unconditional positive regard, congruence and empathy
4. use paraphrasing, reflecting and questioning effectively.
5. practise a range of counselling skills and be more confident about using these within your work.
6. explain why self-awareness is important for therapists and how self-awareness can be developed
7. identify the stages of grief and bereavement and relate these to your client group.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
To access the course you will need to have an adequate level of English to:
- Express your opinions and feelings
- Follow discussions and make relevant contributions
- Make use of handouts with some assistance if necessary
Before joining the class you will need to speak to one of the Speech Therapy team.
It is most suitable for therapists who have done little or no previous counselling training.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
There will be a large experiential component to the course as well as some theoretical input and practical sessions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs although you might choose to purchase books from the suggested reading list.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may choose to go on to do further counselling training either at the City Lit or elsewhere.
Carolyn is a leading UK stammering specialist. She stammers herself and had life-changing therapy at City Lit. Following this she decided to train as a speech and language therapist (SLT) and feels privileged to have spent her career at City Lit. She helped develop what is probably the most comprehensive range of stammering therapy courses in the world. 2019 marked her 40th year as a City Lit tutor. She has a particular passion for working with people with interiorised stammering. In 2009 Carolyn qualified as a mindfulness teacher and has been a pioneer in terms of integrating mindfulness into stammering therapy courses. She is an experienced trainer and has helped to develop training programmes for SLTs in mindfulness, acceptance and commitment therapy and counselling skills. Carolyn has had many articles and chapters published and is a co-editor of Stammering Therapy from the Inside (2013). She has led training and therapy courses throughout the UK and has also taught in Europe, the US and New Zealand. In 2012 she was honoured to receive the International Fluency Association’s Clinician of Distinction award.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.