England, Scotland and the Irish Plantation System
Time: 10:30 - 12:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: HBH43
Duration: 3 sessions (over 3 weeks)
What is the course about?
On this short course we will assess Anglo-Irish relations in the Early Modern Period, from the reign of Henry VIII in the 1500s until the abdication of James II in the late 1600s. We will explore the reasons for plantation settlements and their impact on Ireland, including the regions of Munster, Ulster and Connacht; the impact of the union of the Scottish and English crowns on Ulster; and Irish resistance, rebellions and the Irish Confederate Wars. How enduring are the legacies of these plantation societies?
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Henry VIII, kingship of Ireland and the ‘surrender and regrant’ scheme
• Mary Tudor’s early plantation settlement in the Irish Midlands
• Elizabeth I’s wars in Ireland and the impact on Munster and Ulster
• James I and VI, Scotland and Ulster
• The Civil Wars and the Irish Confederate Wars
• Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector, and Connaught (Connacht)
• The Restoration and impact of the abdication of James II
• Resistance to planter societies and rebellions
• The long-term impact of planter society on Ireland.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Assess the impact of the Reformation on England’s relationship with Ireland
• Evaluate the impact of both Mary and Elizabeth Tudor’s policies towards Ireland
• Evaluate how the union of the English and Scottish crowns impacted on settlement societies
• Explain the significance of the English Civil Wars & the Irish Confederate Wars
• Evaluate the impact of Oliver Cromwell’s Protectorate Era on Ireland
• Assess the short and long-term impact of plantation societies on Ireland.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
It would help to have a general basic understanding of the Early Modern Period, but this is an introductory course and no prior knowledge of the topic is required.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught online via Zoom and discussion is encouraged. A Google Classroom will also be available with optional reading if you wish to develop your knowledge of the subject.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Other courses in British and Irish history. Please see the City Lit website.