English and maths for life (pre-entry)
Time: 10:00 - 12:05
Location: Blended (learn both online and in-person)
You need to do a pre-course assessment. Contact email@example.com / 020 8078 0489 for a face-to-face assessment or click the Start Assessment button on this page. Log on with your email address (not name).
Free course: This is a Multiply course. Multiply is a new government programme to help adults improve their numeracy skills. This course is free for Londoners aged 19 or over if you don’t have a GCSE in maths at grade 4/C or equivalent.
This course will be delivered online and in person. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Check your level
Course Code: BLPE2D
Choose a start date
Duration: 22 sessions (over 12 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This course will help you on your journey to read and write English confidently, express your opinions and use numbers and maths in your everyday life. We will help you write the letters of the alphabet, read and write whole words and sentences, spell words and read forms and short stories. You will also practise using numbers to count, add and subtract and also measure things. The class is a supportive one and you will be encouraged to work at your own pace with support from your tutor.
This course will be delivered online and in person, and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
What will we cover?
We will cover many different topics to help you improve your reading, writing and numeracy, as well as help you express yourself. Some of the areas we will cover include:
• using a pen to write individual letters easily
• identifying letters and naming them
• reading and writing the whole alphabet
• recognising the different sounds of English
• hearing the different sounds within a word
• relating the sounds within words to letters
• using the sound-letter correspondence to help your spelling
• recognising rhymes
• following text from left to right and from top to bottom
• recognising signs and symbols
• using basic punctuation - capital letters, full stops and question marks
• counting up to 100
• reading prices and other important numbers
• describing and comparing the different sizes and measurements of objects
• describing and comparing the different quantities of things
• describing the shapes of things
• making basic calculations e.g. when shopping or paying bills.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• feel confident in your English
• use a pen to write individual letters
• identify letters and name them
• read and write the whole alphabet
• recognise the different sounds of English
• hear the different sounds within a word
• relate the sounds within words to letters
• use the sound-letter correspondence to improve your spelling
• recognise rhymes
• follow text from left to right and from top to bottom
• recognise signs and symbols
• use basic punctuation - capital letters, full stops and question marks - to full sentences
• count up to 100
• read prices and other important numbers
• describe and compare the different sizes and measurements of objects
• describe and compare the different quantities of things
• describe the shapes of things
• make basic calculations e.g. when shopping or paying bills.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is for fluent speakers of English who need help in reading and writing whole words and short sentences in a supportive and caring environment, and who also need some help in using numbers and maths in everyday life.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment. The tutor will help you discover rules and features of English. You will work on your own and with other students. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and worksheets. Other than that, just bring yourself and your enthusiasm to learn!
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This is a three-course programme so each term you will progress onto the next part of this course. When you are ready, you can move to English, maths and digital skills for life (entry 1-entry 2)
For more information, talk with your tutor or contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 4582 0423.