English for deaf people: develop your reading skills (entry 3 - level 1)
Time: 09:30 - 13:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now started
Course Code: YE204A
Duration: 10 sessions (over 11 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course will help you develop your reading skills. On the course you will learn about the different types of texts and the main points of a text and develop your comprehension skills.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
The main skills we will cover will include:
• Use skimming, scanning and reading for detail
• Identify 4 main different types of text (instructional, informative, persuasive & descriptive)
• Answer questions by using the information in texts
• Read for the underlying meaning.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• skim read to get the general idea of a text and its topic
• scan a text to find the information you need
• read for detail and answer relevant questions
• state what we mean by the “layout” of a text and its various features
• identify different types of texts and state if it is instructional, informative, persuasive or descriptive.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
To find out your level of skills, you will need to complete the initial assessment & the interview before enrolling. To book the assessment & the interview, please contact: e-mail: email@example.com; phone (sms): 07307 810118; phone (voice): 02074922511.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course is delivered online (via Zoom). You will be taught in a deaf-only group with a tutor who is fluent in British Sign Language. To be able to access the course online, you will need: a laptop or PC; a stable internet connection; an up-to-date web browser (this is a software on your computer that helps you go on the Internet - we recommend that you use Google Chrome or Firefox); a webcam - this is normally part of your laptop or tablet - if you are using a desktop PC, you may need to have an external webcam; The interactive Google Classroom will optimise your learning: you will be able to access handouts and worksheets, submit your homework, complete various activities etc. You will also have one to one tutorials with your tutor to address any individual learning needs that you might have.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
As this course is delivered online, you need to ensure that you have the following: a laptop, PC, or a tablet; a stable internet connection; an up-to-date web browser (this is a software on your computer that helps you go on the Internet - we recommend that you use Google Chrome or Firefox); a webcam - this is normally part of your laptop or tablet (if you are using a desktop PC, you may need to have an external webcam).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
In order to complete this course successfully, you will be asked to do various tests and complete your coursework by your course tutor. Also, your attendance (joining the Zoom sessions) and punctuality is expected to be at 85% or above. At the end of this course, your course tutor will review your overall learning progress including your attendance/punctuality and will advise accordingly.