English for professionals: becoming fully proficient
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
You need to have an initial assessment before joining this course. Contact email@example.com / 0207 492 2511 for more details or do our online assessment. Click Start Assessment. Use Chrome if possible and log in with your email (not name).
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Check your level
Course Code: BCPEP01
Duration: 9 sessions (over 9 weeks)
What is the course about?
You will refine your English skills to become a fully competent and proficient English language user in all situations. You will read, write, listen to and speak about complex subjects as way of developing your vocabulary, your range of expression, pronunciation and accuracy. You will practise analysing and responding to challenging topics and situations in both writing and speech including how to be appropriate, get your meaning across, critically evaluate, criticise constructively and sensitively and deal confidently with difficult questions. You will focus on a range of spoken forms including lectures, documentaries, business meetings and informal gatherings and develop your listening skills so you hear not only the key points but also listen between the line and assess implications. You will write a variety of text types, such as essays, opinion pieces and reports and use fiction, non-fiction, journals and newspapers to develop your reading skills including seeing the bigger picture, analysing details and drawing conclusions.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Some of the areas we will cover include:
• discussing, reading and writing about complex subjects both formally and informally
• negotiating and persuading effectively in a variety of situations including business and work settings
• responding critically, sensitively and analytically to complex pieces of writing in factual and fictional work
• identifying detail, main idea, opinion, attitude, tone, purpose, implications of texts
• recognising and using subtle differences of meaning and idiom
• identifying and recognising the implications, indirect meanings and euphemisms in different forms of speech and conversation
• writing essays, reports, articles or reviews which develop ideas on a topic, make an appropriate impression on the reader and achieve their purpose
• speaking with appropriate pronunciation, intonation, speed of delivery.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• discuss, read and write about complex subjects both formally and informally
• negotiate and persuade effectively in a variety of situations including business and work settings
• respond critically, sensitively and analytically to complex pieces of writing in factual and fictional work
• identify detail, main idea, opinion, attitude, tone, purpose, implications of texts
• recognise and use subtle differences of meaning and idiom
• identify and recognise implications, indirect meanings and euphemisms in different forms of speech and conversation
• write essays, reports, articles or reviews which develop ideas on a topic, make an appropriate impression on the reader and achieve their purpose
• speak with effective pronunciation, intonation, speed of delivery.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for learners who need English in professional settings or other situations which require complex language. You are already a highly competent English user and are looking to refine your language skills so you can be more a precise, creative and freer English speaker.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks, with guidance from the tutor. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need pen, paper and folder but most resources will be provided online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, at the same time or after this course. These include:
• English for professionals: C1 Advanced (Cambridge English: Advanced, CAE)
• English for professionals: C2 Proficiency (Cambridge English: Proficiency, CPE )
• English for professionals: communicating, selling, negotiating and managing in business and work (Level 2)
• English Communication Skills for professionals: finding the right word in business (advanced)
• English for professionals: how to make your writing clear, concise and flowing (advanced ESOL)
• Grammar in practice: advanced (level 2+)
• Prepare for IELTS and improve your academic writing
You may also want to do courses in our section for very fluent and first language speakers. These include:
• Develop your confidence in writing: finding the right tone and improving your style (level 1-2)
• Develop your writing for inside and outside the workplace: how to make your writing organised, clear and to the point (level 2)
• Develop your reading and writing for inside and outside the workplace: read well, write well - analysing, evaluating and making decisions about what you read (level 2)
• Workplace skills: getting your point across (level 2)
• Workplace skills: how to work effectively with other people and be a team person
• Workplace skills: communicating, negotiating and influencing (level 2)
There also many other English, maths and digital skills courses you can do. Ask your tutor or contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7492 2511 for more details.